The GBT program aims to accelerate entrepreneurs’ businesses, which is reflected in our selection criteria. We select ambitious entrepreneurs with the right motivation, attitude and skills. The selection criteria aim to identify entrepreneurs who have already developed and completed a business plan, and have been running the business for at least one to two years.
The selection process for the GBT Academy is combined with the GBT Coaches Program. The best applicants to the GBT Coaches Program are offered a place in the GBT Academy.
Entrepreneurs should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Have the age between 18 and 35 years
- Startup or small or medium-sized company with an innovative service/product or an existing service/product in a new market
- Companies with an innovation in water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), food security, and health are especially encouraged to apply. Crossovers with IT or renewable energy or water are also welcome
- It is a plus if the business’s scope extends beyond Accra, preferably to the Northern regions
- Viable business model
- Business is already on the market for one to three years, with early customers and early revenue
Combined selection process GBT Coaches Program and GBT Academy
Following the initial online application and screening on these minimal requirements the selection process consists of two phases because we both select entrepreneurs for the GBT Coaches Program as well as the GBT Academy at the same time. By applying for the GBT Coaches Program you automatically apply for the GBT Academy. The best twenty applicants are offered a place in the GBT Academy.
In the selection phase 1, shortlisted entrepreneurs are invited to pitch to be selected in the GBT Coaches Program. In phase 2 we make the final selection for the academy.
In phase 1 we organize three pitch events in three different cities, namely in Tamale, Kumasi and Accra. At each up to 30 shortlisted businesses can pitch at any of these three locations. Next to a sound business model, we will be looking for entrepreneurial drive and business capacity in particular. In the next round, the second round, 30 entrepreneurs will be selected from these pitch sessions for a final interview, out of which 20 top winners will be selected to participate in the GBT Academy and the Coaches Program
- The 30 businesses pitch their business and provide details on strategy, sales and financial models
- The pitch is longer than in the first round (up to 7 minutes) to make room for a detailed interrogation by the investor panel
- 20 of the 30 businesses are admitted into the GBT Academy
Are you interested to boost your company? We invite, inspire and challenge Ghanaian startups and small businesses with growth potential to apply for the GBT Coaches Program and GBT Academy.