The GBT Coaches Program is an annual business support program for 20 entrepreneurs. They are matched with a business mentor who will coach them for a year. Participants are early-stage startups who have been -1 to 2 years in operations- with some early customers and early revenue.
The business mentors are Dutch/Ghanaian businessmen who have extensive local experience and a network in Ghana as well as senior representatives of Dutch companies in Ghana. For specific issues such as marketing and branding we can seek expert mentors on the specific topic. To create the best match, the selected entrepreneurs get a personal as well as a business assessment. This way we identify the business and the entrepreneur’s professional needs. The sessions of the mentors and entrepreneurs take place once a month at the coach’s office or another sponsored venue or startup hub in Accra.
Opportunity to get full-year support
Through the GBT Coaches Program we offer:
- Help to look at the bigger picture for the business
- Help to set business and personal development goals and develop a plan
- Guidance on enhancing business skills and intellectual development
- Candid feedback about business and personal strengths and weaknesses
- Hands-on support in business development
- Knowledge network
- Opening new networks:
- Distribution channels
- Client base
- Encouragement, building his or her sense of confidence
- Access to networking events of the GBT Academy and partners
- GBT Startup Investment Conference – opportunity to network and to participate in a challenge to be one of the companies to pitch for investors in a Dragon’s Den style pitch event
The program aims to accelerate entrepreneurs’ businesses, which is reflected in the selection criteria. We select ambitious entrepreneurs with the right motivation, attitude and skills. The selection criteria aim to identify entrepreneurs who have already developed and completed a business plan, and have been running the business for at least one to two years.
Startups to be selected should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Startup or small or medium-sized company with an innovative service/product or an existing service/product in a new market
- Companies with an innovation in water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), food security, and health are especially encouraged to apply. Crossovers with IT or renewable energy or water are also welcome
- It is a plus if the business’s scope extends beyond Accra, preferably to the Northern regions
- Viable business model
- Business is already on the market with early customers and early revenue
Combined selection process GBT Coaches Program and GBT Academy
Following the initial online application and screening on these minimal requirements the selection process consists of two phases, because we both select entrepreneurs for the GBT Coaches Program as well as the GBT Academy at the same time. By applying for the GBT Coaches Program you automatically apply for the GBT Academy. The best applicants will be offered a place in the GBT Academy.
In the first selection phase 1, shortlisted entrepreneurs are invited to pitch to be selected in the GBT Coaches Program. In phase 2 we make the final selection for the academy.
In phase 1 we organize three pitch events in three different cities, namely in Tamale, Kumasi and Accra. At each up to 30 shortlisted businesses can pitch their business of which ten will be selected. Next to a sound business model, we will be looking for entrepreneurial drive and business capacity in particular. The twenty selected businesses are offered a place in the GBT Coaches Program. They are also invited to the second round of pitches for the final selection for the GBT Academy.
- The 20 businesses pitch their business and provide details on strategy, sales and financial models
- The pitch is longer than in the first round (up to 7 minutes) to make room for a detailed interrogation by the investor panel
- All 20 businesses are admitted into the GBT Academy
Sign up as a coach
We are always on the lookout for additional Ghanaian based professionals, entrepreneurs and/or experts working in various working fields to coach our 20 candidates for the GBT Coaches Program. Become a mentor and help our candidates to grow. Sign up as a mentor through the form below and we will contact you.